Monday, January 12, 2009

So What's For Lunch?

Let's talk about my favourite subject-FOOD! My daughter noted that when I came out from the digital mall (another favourite of mine) which had a new restaurant I was grinning from ear to ear. Food sure does something to me and it is not just eating it. The mere sight of a succulent piece of roast rib or the shiny egg white glaze of pastries does something to my pituitary gland. It's like the sight of food had send a huge electrical surge that shock circuited my pituitary gland to release huge loads of endorphin to switch on the silly grin on my face. I am so easy to please.Do you know that the word 'endo-phine' actually means 'like a morphine'. Food does gives us a high but that is not the reason why they call certain food events 'high tea' if that question did pop up in your head.

Who was it that said those immortal words, " The way into a man's heart is through his stomach." She must have seen the same silly grin which inspired her to write those immortal words. Not to appear sexist I suggest it works on both gender. I believe that some woman are also affected by food in the same way. Now, what about Mona Lisa's immortal smile? Hmmm, I wonder. Was there a plate of Dunking doughnuts beside Leonardo's paint brushes?

Whenever I carry out therapy for weight lost one of the most important issues I had to deal with is 'comfort food'. One of my clients had to have a thick cup of chocolate beverage several times a day. She had to have it even though she was not hungry. I asked her since when did she had this habit she answered that since she was a child her mother would without fail bring her a delicious hot cup of chocolate beverage in her room. Her mother was concern that she might become hungry in the night. She recalled vividly how the warm sweet drink soothingly flowed down her throat and left a nice warm glow to her tummy. It was to her the feelings of her mother's concern and love. I believe she felt this each time she drinks it even now. This is called 'comfort food'. To deal with comfort food I had to change her perception about food. As I carried out EFT therapy on her I said 'Love is not in the drink, love comes from your mother and not from a cup.' How often we think food can meet our emotional needs and we indulge in it only to find out love is not there.When we are stressed, angry, depressed we turn to food that carries an emotional feel good attachment and wolf it or gulp it down. The next time you feel like a food binge see if there is a person behind the food that you would rather talk to for comfort or try EFT.

Isaac Lim
http://www.eftwonder.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment